Tuesday, December 8, 2009

first person to name all the tracks gets to let me sleep on their couch




I wanted to upload at least one semi-decent mixtape before I packed everything up, so I spent a few hours pulling out records I've found here in Oakland over the last six months or so, most at garage sales, flea markets or Amoeba. I didn't really plan them out ahead of time, so excuse a few rough mixes. Also the sound quality is already sub-optimal, so I suggest extra relaxation and extra volume.


side a: http://www.mediafire.com/file/hmdigzmzdzj/hi _a_.mp3




side b: http://www.mediafire.com/file/j4mn2mrdjyt/02 y'all _b_.mp3

2 comments:

  1. I didn't even attempt to breakdown side a, but working on side b has filled these past few weeks at work with a whole lotta awesome. Though not complete or entirely accurate, here's my best shot:

    side b -

    Rhythm of the Rain - Cascades
    The Plea - The Chantels
    Do You Want To Dance - Bobby Freeman
    ???? - ???? *
    We're Gonna Make It - little Milton
    She's Alright - Bo Diddley
    She's Looking Good - Rodger Collins
    You Ain't No Hippie - They Hueys
    I'm a Coward - Gino Washington
    ???? - ???? *
    What Am I Living For - Solomon Burke
    Make a Little Love With Me - Elmore James
    I Know It's a Sin - Jimmy Reed
    The River's Invitation - Percy Mayfield
    Love, Sweet Like Sugar Cane - Big Black **
    Black Gal - Clifton Chenier
    Cryin' Prayin' Waitin' Hopin' - Hank Snow
    Paper Tiger - Sue Thompson
    Why Do Fools Fall in Love - Frankie Lymon

    * I tried and tried to get these two. I even asked my nerdiest of nerdy music friends and no one could name them. Hats off, Lloyd.

    ** I'm not sure if this is by Big Black Juju Blues Ensemble or Build An Ark or a mash-up of the two or neither. Either way, this version is by far my favorite.

    Okay, though I'm still really frustrated I couldn't figure out those two songs, I'm going to walk away from this now. Thanks for the stellar distraction [and fantastic/free mixtape]. Later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. verrrrry close.

    track two is actually "please dear" by the quin-tones

    track four is "i'm a fool" by the teen queens

    the track after gino washington is "i'm wishing" by damon shawn

    ReplyDelete