Monday, August 17, 2009

this week in lloyd

I want to start getting some furniture up in here, and I plan on having this be a regular feature. I've long been fascinated with the name 'Lloyd,' for what ought to be obvious reasons. So each week, from here until I get bored of it (eternity!) I'll try and offer you all a look into the small, but exceedingly interesting world of people/places/things named Lloyd.

We'll start with a single I stumbled upon in eBay's completed listings section. It had gone unsold, and it killed me to see no one wanted a killer-looking gospel 7", especially one that plays at 33 1/3, on a label that no one has ever heard of, and especially one featuring a group with an oustanding name like The Lloyd Singers. So I offered the seller a trade, and lo and behold, all he wanted was money! It's amazing how transactions like that work.

Needless to say, I was not disappointed by the actual music contained in the grooves of the impeccably named wax. I've always had an unusual affinity for gospel, and this is the kind of raw stuff you can appreciate on a wholly unreligious level. I'd love to give you some more info on this group, or Leroy Lloyd in particular, but all I can tell is what the label on the record says. That, and Leroy was the guitarist. Beyond his blessed name, everything else is a mystery.

Download:

Archive of Lloyd Singers (320kbs mp3)

No comments:

Post a Comment