Thursday, August 20, 2009

radio love



A couple posts back I claimed I wanted to get some recurring features up in here, this is gonna be another one of them. In an effort to prove I'm serious about this so not being a genre specific music blog, I'm going to try and get up mp3's of the least obscure music on the internet. More specifically, I'm going to post songs I hear on Top 40 radio and love. A lot of this stuff gets dismissed outright because of, well, because of it's popularity, but I think there are definitely some things happening in the modern hip hop and r&b community worth discussing.

Try as it might to kill itself, the (major label) music industry still has a pretty tight promotional grasp over terrestrial radio. And try as radio may to kill itself with blandness, it's still beats nothing when you have a car with a busted tape deck and no cd player. This here song, "Break Up," by Mario feat. Gucci Mane has a beat with Timbaland's influence all over it. It's not his though - it's produced by Bangladesh (Ludacris' "What's Your Fantasy," more recently Lil Wayne's ubiquitous "A Milli"), and it features the bass heavy, sample-free, slick harmonies that made/make it a sure-fire hit. I can't stop listening to it (and seeing as it's in heavy rotation, won't have to), and though this is technically a remix, it's more like a subtle re-work with an additional verse.

I'd also be remiss if I didn't bring up what an amazing and ridiculous name Gucci Mane is. I have spent some serious time wondering how he got to that point. It's not the kind of nick name your friends give you, so I have to think he carefully whittled it down from a combination of brands and horse parts. Vuitton Hoof, anyone? I think maybe I'll start calling myself Burberry Stallion. And like The Fader (who, more on later, but thanks for the link), I think my absolute favorite part of this song has to be Gucci's line: "Girls are like buses. Miss one, next fifteen one coming" following with the bass dropping like a hammer. Someone asked me if this was my break-up song. I said, "Don't be ridiculous. This song actually makes me happy."

Download:

Mario, feat. Gucci Mane & Nicki Minaj - Break Up (remix)

1 comment: