Monday, August 17, 2009

a tape for you, steven




Well, this is really a tape from my friend Steven - hopefully the first of many.

Not to rip off Awesome Tapes From Africa too hard, but from time to time I'd like to upload tapes ripped from other people's collections, as well as my own, in addition to the mixtapes that were initially the driving concept behind this whole blog. None of those mixes have appeared yet, but fear not, the only thing stopping me up to this point was the 5mb upload limit on our free internet.

Anyway, couldn't tell you much about this tape if I wanted to. I believe Steven bought this in Africa, in, I believe Morocco? I dunno, it's just one guy with a kora, which basically sounds like an acoustic guitar. Each side is one long epic, and I think I could draw a few lines between what this guy does with his kora rhythmically on some of the long instrumental passages and Ben Chasny's guitar bits from Six Organs of Admittance. Add a little more reverb and maybe a dash of delay, and this could be psych-folk.

One thing that I hope turns out to be fun with all of this, is I'll hopefully learn a whole lot about some of this music that's new to me, and educate you all about music from my own collection at the same time. Unfortunately this time around, thar ain't a whole lotta learnin' ta do.

Download:

Archive of Bande Originale (?) 320 mp3

an aside: I'd normally divide these up into individual tracks, but since I didn't have the track names (I'm not even sure of the artists name) I didn't bother. You get to experience it like me: side a & side b.

No comments:

Post a Comment