Wednesday, January 6, 2010

i made you a tape: mexico

I can't say that I know much about Mexican music, and to be perfectly honest, I've never liked much of what I have heard. Mariachi caused me to write off the entire country musically. That's obviously absurd, and I've been forced to re-examine those prejudices after Sam started her love on mexico movement. She's back in Oaxaca now, and is doing a ton of great stuff - not least of which was the movie night represented by the flier below, and before she left she asked me to put together a short mix of mexican music and music about mexico to drop in the mailboxes of upper class, white Oaklander's in order to introduce them to the brown sound. It was fun, if not a little hasty, and leaning a bit too heavily on the random 45's I pick up for Sam everytime I see "hecho in mexico" on the label instead of doing actual research.


1. jose alfredo jimenez - el desperado 
2. hemanes huerta con el mariachi popular de jose cruz - no sigas llorando
3. cuarteto ritmo de oro de agustin martinez - senorita yo al quiero
4. devendra banhart - carmensita
5. lee dorsey - mexico
6. eddie platt - tequila
7. richie valens - la bamba
8. carlos y jose - el nuevo albur de amor
9. yolanda del rio - la hija de nadie
10. jolie holland - mexican blue


 

No comments:

Post a Comment